Portuguese Feast 5k

Portuguese Feast 5k

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Oh Asthma, How I loathe thee...

Well the winter is officially here and If I can see my breath, it is too cold for me to run outside. And this is because of my asthma. Running in cities with high levels of smog, poor air quality, and running in the cold all cause me to sputter, cough, and my airways to spasm. I have my Pro-Air inhaler, that I tuck in my sleeve and that sort of works, but I can only use it so much before my heart starts super racing since that is one of the side effects. I have put a muffler around my mouth so that I am breathing in warmer air, but mostly I am breathing in my own CO2, and that kinda stinks. 
So my only relief is ..the dreaded hamster wheel. Yep. The TREADMILL.  ugh. 


I don't really know what else to do. I love running in the winter, I can run much farther and faster and really see gains on my pace in the winter, but the cold is brutal on my lungs. 
On the treadmill I play little games to get me through the monotony, such as - varying the pace, doing fartleks, tempo work out, intervals, hills etc... but still.. borrrrrinnnnng... 


Maybe this winter, I will try to focus on x-training for my triathlons. More swimming and indoor biking. 


I am definately having a "poor me" day... 



2 comments: