Portuguese Feast 5k

Portuguese Feast 5k

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Downtown Jingle 5k

Woo hoo my first blog post.. So I must admit, I am a big READER of blogs but have never written one. I follow some runner pal blogs so I figured it was time to put out one of my own.

Today I ran the Downtown Jingle 5k in Downtown Providence, RI. I ran with my best pal Hillary S. and this was her second race ever, so it was super exciting for both of us I have done a few races in Providence, all big ones and thought what a nice way to cap off my 2010 racing year with a nice Jingle Bell Jaunt..

Here are some details of the race-
3000 people ran it.
It was 33 degrees out.
It was super windy.
and It was super fun.

The volunteers and race officials are amazing. They did a great job blocking the streets and intersections, they did a great job directing people the right way to go, and a lovely volunteer even watched my race bag while I raced.

From the start to mile 1- the crowds were slightly frustrating. I will put this out there; I have some major pet peeves when it comes to running races.  I dislike when people start talking and joking and being loud and rude during the national anthem. Someone is up there singing in front of 5000 people. Please- be quiet.
Another pet peeve is when people start elbowing and pushing to get to spot at their designated pace time. W have B tags, it hardly matters what position you are in, if you didnt get to the starting line in time, then oh well, move back.
Walkers.  It is admirable and awesome people are walking. Please- just move as far to the side as you can. I really do not like it when people SPRINT to get in front of you, then completely slow down to a walk, causing me (who is running) to run around them. It takes more energy for me to run around you, then it takes for you to walk closer to the sidewalk. please and thank you.
after the 1 mile mark, the crowds thinned a little. We got cute jingle bells to wear and I tied mine into my shoe laces so they jingled all the way. FUN!
The costumes were funny and cute. I give those people props because I would get itchy running in a silly costume.
I can't have any complaints about this race, well put together, and our times were posted immediately onto coolrunning.com.

I don't remember my exact time but it was in the 37:00 range. My times were really good last spring, then humidity and engaged life sucked the time off my average. Here's to training so the spring times are better then ever come 2011!
CHEERS!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting and following my blog!! Even better seeing you start a blog!! If you want to know my feelings about why it's good to blog check out the new podcast "Slow Runner's Club" on itunes. I was interviewed on the 2nd episode!
    Keep running and I'll see you out there on the roads (or Fairhaven bike path!).
    John from the Poi

    ReplyDelete